Leashless longboarders
Gleshna
2004-09-23 22:42:39 UTC
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.

Gleshna

Overheard at 2004 ESA Northeastern Regional Surf Contest:

"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
Tom Tweed
2004-09-23 23:17:24 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.
Or not. Sometimes, they are the best surfers in the crowd, and
rarely, if ever, lose their boards, even while riding the biggest
and best waves of the day.

Get a grip. Come watch Joel Tudor or Mike Myers or Devon Howard
surf leashless at WindanSea and tell me they are all assholes.

TT
---------------------------------
Tom Tweed mailto:***@ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA, USA or ***@san.rr.com
"I have never been into Fashion, but I am totally into Style."
-- Kurt "da Mellow Cat" Ledterman
---------------------------------
"The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
2004-09-23 23:56:26 UTC
Get a grip. Come watch ..... Devon Howard
surf leashless at WindanSea
I hear the kid's pretty good. His mom's an old
friend. We're from the same home town.

-----------------------------
Chexter
John4Surf
2004-09-24 00:45:03 UTC
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
I hear the kid's pretty good. His mom's an old
friend. We're from the same home town.
-----------------------------
Chexter
Devon's Mom and Dad are good people. They have supported him with his passion
as long as he has been in the water.

Why does anyone respond the this glesda character any way? He is just baiting
the group. It must be boring where he lives.

On another note, for those who care the Rob 'Mouse' Machado annual get together
is this weekend at the Cardiff Reef. Although it is a pain in the ass to lose
the reef for 2 1/2 days it is good for the community and the stoke that goes
around with the youngsters (and old farts looking at the hard bodies ;-)
td
2004-09-24 03:28:19 UTC
Post by John4Surf
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
I hear the kid's pretty good. His mom's an old
friend. We're from the same home town.
-----------------------------
Chexter
Devon's Mom and Dad are good people. They have supported him with his passion
as long as he has been in the water.
Why does anyone respond the this glesda character any way? He is just baiting
the group. It must be boring where he lives.
On another note, for those who care the Rob 'Mouse' Machado annual get together
is this weekend at the Cardiff Reef. Although it is a pain in the ass to lose
the reef for 2 1/2 days it is good for the community and the stoke that goes
around with the youngsters (and old farts looking at the hard bodies ;-)
There's some shots of devon in here somewhere...

http://www.wavecam.com/blacks/sitefull.htm

And my favorite is Mary somethinerother. What a trooper!!!

td
Tom Tweed
2004-09-24 15:38:54 UTC
Post by John4Surf
Devon's Mom and Dad are good people. They have supported him with his passion
as long as he has been in the water.
Devon is a very cool guy and a very stylish longboarder. I just
received this forwarded e-mail from him re: the San Diego
premiere of Thomas Campbell's latest movie. Copied and pasted
below, FYI. I know A.S is not a "club" in the traditional sense,
but I thought some here might appreciate the information.

TT

---------------------begin included message-----------

Hello,
I would like to call upon all of you guys (and girls) to email
blast your respective clubs for me if it's not too much trouble.
You can feel free to rewrite some of this info into a newsletter
or forward it if that is easier.

My friend Thomas Campbell did a surf film called SPROUT and it
has Joel Tudor in it at Big Rock and Costa Rica along with
legendary SD slider Skip Frye and modern day stylist Rob Machado
of Cardiff, and it's coming to a theater near you. There is also
a really good ladies section--very elegant. These surfers are
just a handful of an amazing lineup of talent in his film.
Campbell made a film called the Seedling in 1999 which many of
you may have already heard of? I feel that the quality of this
film is worth everyone's time and pocket change to see it. It's
what surfing is really all about. It's about riding all types of
equipment (long, short, fish, egg, bodysurf, etc) and just
realizing how lucky we all are to have this the ocean and her
waves. The show includes a free raffle by Converse and live music
before the screening.

There was an article in TWSURF two months ago about the INDO trip
(The Education of Matt Ratt, search that title under
www.transworldsurf.com and it should come up under the search
engine) and the Surfer's Journal has a story about Thomas in the
new issue and talks about the film. Please do what you can to
help us spread the word. This is a grassroots effort and we would
love to see your club there to support it.

Thanks for whatever you can do.
Devon Howard

see www.trimyourlifeaway.com for the trailer and more info on the
film and tour.

San Diego area Tour Dates & Info

Carlsbad
September 23 & 24 (Thursday/Friday)
Carlsbad Village Theater, 8pm
Musical Guest: The Matson 2
Tickets on sale ($10) at the door day of, 7pm
2822 State St. (off of Carlsbad Village Dr.)

La Jolla
October 13 (Wednesday)
La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art, 8pm
Prospect Ave. $10

Encinitas
October 14 (Thursday)
La Paloma Theater, 7 & 9pm
Coast Hwy. (near Encinitas Blvd.)

check www.trimyourlifeaway.com for the trailer, movie info and
updates on early ticket sale locations.

Below is some other press release info. JUST use what you like if
needed, otherwise it's not necessary to forward this part:

Reviving a Tradition

Artist Thomas Campbell tours America's coastal towns this summer
to premiere his new 16mm Indy film documentary—Sprout—and
restores a surfing heritage in the process.

"Barnstorming" surf films began in the late '50s with
surfer/cinematographers like Bud and Bruce Brown and continued
through the '60s and early '70s. They showed their independent
documentary films on one-screen theaters and in high school
auditoriums up and down the West and East Coast. Within a few
years surf film screenings became a time-honored tradition—a
gathering of the tribes. Having limited communication, these
movie premiers became the only functional way for surfers to
exchange thoughts and ideas on equipment, music and the culture
itself. But with rising film costs in the late '70s and the
advent of video in the early '80s this cultural happening
literally vanished from existence as the four-wall viewing
experience moved to most living rooms.

In recent years however, surf filmmakers like California's Thomas
Campbell have re-kindled the spirit of touring an independent
surf flick and are helping resurrect this surfing tradition by
doing so.

Campbell's new feature length film (approx. 80-minutes)
Sprout—shot entirely on 16mm stock—documents a new movement in
surfing: The longstanding divided wall between longboarders and
shortboarders is breaking down fast, and amongst the rubble
open-minded surfers are discovering that it's OK to embrace all
forms of waveriding. Campbell’s hopes are that viewers will come
to realize how lucky they are to have access to such a wonderful
resource, and that there are more ways than one to enjoy its
offerings.

Join Thomas Campbell as he travels the world with his 16mm Bolex
camera capturing some of the world's best surfers like Joel
Tudor, Dan Malloy, David Rastovich, Ozzie Wright, Skip Frye, Alex
Knost, Rob Machado, Ozzie Wright, Devon Howard, CJ Nelson, Kassia
Meador, Belinda Baggs and Jimmy Gamboa among others. See them
riding beautiful and exotic surf breaks on longboards,
shortboards, eggs (mid-lengths), mats, fishes, bodyboards,
single-fin guns or au natural—bodysurfing. With Campbell's artful
perspective on the diverse mix of surfers, locations and
equipment being ridden, Sprout promises to deliver one of the
most unique and unforgettable viewing experiences in surfing to
date.

While Sprout was independently funded by Campbell’s own bank
account for the first three years of filming, Campbell did seek
some help to offset the high production cost of his chosen
medium—16mm film—as well as doing a full on U.S. Coastal tour.
Campbell asked Converse to join his efforts in making that
possible. Since Jack Purcell’s kicks date back as far as the
1930s in being part of surfing’s beach culture, as well as the
Chuck Taylor All Star being embraced by the early '60s, and the
One Star in the '70s, Converse seemed a perfect fit for Sprout.
Converse has always been connected with the surfing arena, and
much like Campbell the brand is returning to its roots by
supporting such a project as Sprout. With people like Campbell
dedicating their lives to making surfing films, and a brand like
Converse to support it, this crucial aspect of surfing's heritage
and culture will live > on.

With the East Coast tour now just wrapping up, the “Sprout Tour”
crew is rounding the corner and heading for California. Several
of the film's featured surfers have been present for each stop
like Dan Malloy, Alex Knost, CJ Nelson and Devon Howard. Every
venue has had one of the bands present from the film's
soundtrack, treating the audience to some jazzy tunes while
getting seated. Some of the soundtrack’s bands and musicians
include original songs and instrumentals by Jack Johnson, Tommy
Guerrero, Ray Barbee and Tortoise, among others. Viewers also
have a chance at winning some free kicks and Ts from Converse
with their winning raffle ticket. Be sure to check out Sprout at
a city near you.

Starting in mid September Sprout will make its West Coast run in
beginning in San Diego and do a full lap up to San Francisco. For
the one-minute Sprout trailer and more info on the film see
www.trimyourlifeaway.com or check www.conversegallery.com for
Converse’s new independent film campaign or see www.converse.com
for info on their surf team. This film is also produced by The
Moonshine Conspiracy (Jack Johnson, Chris Malloy, Emmett Malloy
and Thomas Campbell), the makers of Thicker Than Water, Shelter
and September Sessions. See www.themoonshineconpiracy.com for
more on their film collection.

Also go to http://www.trimyourlifeaway.com/media/index.html for
media download images of Sprout

Thomas Campbell is a world-class artist whose art is currently
being displayed in San Francisco's Yerba Buena Art Center for a
traveling show called “Beautiful Losers”. Aside from his unique
paintings, he is a former Skateboard Magazine editor and photo
editor, and has documented countless skateboard and surfing
images of both of the sport’s most celebrated personalities.

---------------------------------
---------------------------------
"The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
2004-09-25 10:40:43 UTC
Post by John4Surf
Devon's Mom and Dad are good people.
They have supported him with his passion
as long as he has been in the water.
His mom was one the top female competitors in the
Northeast, back in the Sixties. She was recently
nominated for the EC Surfing Hall of Fame.

She *did* tell me that she was a bit concerned
when Dev quit his editorial position at Longboard
Mag.
Typical mom. ;-)

-------------------
Chexter
WW
2004-09-24 15:36:57 UTC
Obviously, Gleshna is bored again...
Gleshna
2004-09-24 20:33:53 UTC
Post by WW
Obviously, Gleshna is bored again...
Or not. Maybe Gleshna has a big dent in his board from a leashless
longboarding asshole.

WW
2004-09-24 20:41:45 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Post by WW
Obviously, Gleshna is bored again...
Or not. Maybe Gleshna has a big dent in his board from a leashless
longboarding asshole.
Then make meaningful posts to usenet. Your initial post reeks of trolling.
Why not tell the interesting story of how it happened, then express your
opinion based on that?
SteveM
2004-09-25 01:19:50 UTC
Post by WW
Post by Gleshna
Post by WW
Obviously, Gleshna is bored again...
Or not. Maybe Gleshna has a big dent in his board from a leashless
longboarding asshole.
Then make meaningful posts to usenet. Your initial post reeks of trolling.
Why not tell the interesting story of how it happened, then express your
opinion based on that?
Yeah. and pictures would be nice too!!

Later,
Steve
shaft®
2004-09-25 01:52:37 UTC
Post by SteveM
Post by WW
Then make meaningful posts to usenet. Your initial post reeks of trolling.
Why not tell the interesting story of how it happened, then express your
opinion based on that?
Yeah. and pictures would be nice too!!
Don't listen to them, bob.

They are trying to neuter you.
Gleshna
2004-09-25 04:25:42 UTC
Post by WW
Why not tell the interesting story of how it happened, then express your
opinion based on that?
And, please, tell when when should I use the washroom.

FYI: I had already posed it as a question with about zero responses. Even your
sophisticated self didn't bother to respond.

As far as your troll accusations, well, you seem to be rant confused. Also,
FYI, don't respond to trolls. Tsk, tsk.

Surfer Bob
2004-09-27 18:31:13 UTC
Post by Gleshna
FYI: I had already posed it as a question with about zero responses. Even
your sophisticated self didn't bother to respond...
Here you chide him for *not responding* to a troll.
Post by Gleshna
...Also, FYI, don't respond to trolls. Tsk, tsk.
And here you chide him for *responding* to a troll. All in the space
of two sentences! Someone around here is certainly confused, but I
don't think it's him.

Fix your board yet? Best be ready for your Lake's prime time fall
season! I do NOT want to hear weak excuses about why you missed the
Rocktober swells of the year. Have your new surf van fueled up,
loaded, parked nose out, and don't EVEN turn off your weather radio
until the Lake freezes over!

We're counting on you to get the GL goods this year,
Surfer Bob
Gleshna
2004-09-28 01:07:11 UTC
(Surfer Bob
We're counting on you to get the GL goods this year,
What makes you think I am on the Lake.

How was your three foot wave, morning high tide today?

Surfer Bob
2004-09-28 05:51:29 UTC
Post by Gleshna
How was your three foot wave, morning high tide today?
Eeeuuuu! Thanks for asking!

Exactly like this:
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=55437171406
Andy
2004-09-28 12:12:06 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Post by Gleshna
How was your three foot wave, morning high tide today?
Eeeuuuu! Thanks for asking!
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=55437171406
Bling!
Bit of a side-shore, but nice looking.

Andy
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-09-28 16:00:06 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=55437171406
Sweet photos, Robert. Especially the ones at Arroyo Sequit
of the Santa Anas dispassionately blowing everyone away. Bet
there were some sweet barrels over the body rock if anyone
could get in.
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ "Moderation in all things...
_.-' '._ including moderation."
Gleshna
2004-09-28 23:31:53 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Surfer Bob
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=55437171406
Nice net surfing.

Surfer Bob
2004-09-30 20:03:06 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Nice net surfing.
What are you talking about? I took and posted those pictures myself.
Surfer Bob
2004-09-27 18:19:23 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Or not. Maybe Gleshna has a big dent in his board from a leashless
longboarding asshole.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Have you gone from talking to yourself to dropping in on yourself and
dinging your own board? Masterful. You've taken your self sufficiency
to another level.

If that happened to me, I'd punch out my fin, politely but firmly
inform myself I'd just lost my surfing priviledges for a month, and
order myself out of the water.

Fix your ding and get back out there.

Surfer Bob
Gleshna
2004-09-28 01:05:48 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Surfer Bob
Drugs are not healthy for you. Posting on drugs makes you post babble.
Please, stop.

Gleshna
2004-09-24 20:32:43 UTC
Post by Tom Tweed
they are the best surfers in the crowd,
And sometimes they aren't good surfers at all and are assholes.

Side Note: Tom Tweed, I miss informed you about the 1965 Carlsbad CIF game with
University High. It was on a Saturday and CHS got its ass kicked badly. To
this day it is something the footballers don't like to talk about or even
remember. But I know that I was at a big game somewhere near LaJolla I think.
It must have be a prelim.

2004-09-23 23:54:30 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are
assholes.
Tell that to the kama`ainas who surf Hanalei Bay (D. Waller, etc).

Why are you concerned with this? Can't be a problem where you
live.
-------------------------
Chexter
Gleshna
2004-09-24 20:34:25 UTC
The Checkered Demon
Why are you concerned with this? Can't be a problem where you
live.
I don't live where you think I live.

2004-09-25 10:35:52 UTC
Post by Gleshna
I don't live where you think I live.
You live near, and surf on, a lake.
So, the scenario you described would be
outside the realm of possibility there. Reason being,
there's no such thing as "large surf" on a lake.

--------------------------
Chexter
http://cf.turnto10.com/pro/sh/videoplayer/video.cfm?id=3758975&owner=pro
Gleshna
2004-09-26 19:05:02 UTC
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
Reason being,
there's no such thing as "large surf" on a lake.
Well, trollChex, there is such a thing as us having larger surf on the Lake
than they have in soCal on certain given days. Fact.

Awe F'shore
2004-09-26 22:17:50 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
Reason being,
there's no such thing as "large surf" on a lake.
Well, trollChex, there is such a thing as us having larger surf on the Lake
than they have in soCal on certain given days. Fact.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Fact.
Awe
"The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
2004-09-27 00:27:30 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Well, trollChex, there is such a thing as us having larger surf on the Lake
than they have in soCal on certain given days. Fact.
Sure, one foot lake slop would certainly be *larger* than flat
conditons on the WC. That still doesn't qualify those pathetic
lake ripples as "large surf".

You can't even distinguish between an actual troll, and a simple
refutation of your clueless assumptions and generalizations.
You and "shit-for-brains®" seem to suffer from a similar
inability to read and properly interpret simple text. You both
tend to put your own warped, self-centered spin on
everything, and anything. Proves that idiots can be found
all over the map.
----------------------------
Chexter
Gleshna
2004-09-28 01:04:49 UTC
The Checkered Demon
That still doesn't qualify those pathetic
lake ripples as "large surf".
Please, feel free to quote where you think I was talking about large Lake surf.
Look closely. Did I say on the Lake?
Proves that idiots can be found
all over the map.
Author of the statement is a case in point.

Cam Newton
2004-09-28 18:02:36 UTC
Post by Gleshna
The Checkered Demon
That still doesn't qualify those pathetic
lake ripples as "large surf".
Please, feel free to quote where you think I was talking about large Lake surf.
Look closely. Did I say on the Lake?
Proves that idiots can be found
all over the map.
Author of the statement is a case in point.
Gleshna
"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
I have read a bunch of your posts: don't be hatin' everybody. For your
own sake, kill that bug up your ass.
Gleshna
2004-09-28 23:30:01 UTC
Go forth and multipy yourself.

george of the jungle
2004-09-26 01:58:50 UTC
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:54:30 -0400, "The Checkered Demon"
Post by Gleshna
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are
assholes.
Tell that to the kama`ainas who surf Hanalei Bay (D. Waller, etc).
And that ain't an old guy thing. The crew does big Hanalei leashless.
They don't like the leash holddowns there.
Post by Gleshna
Why are you concerned with this? Can't be a problem where you
live.
-------------------------
Chexter
Who knows where he really lives? He says he lives near the lakes but
who cares?

_g
rickm
2004-09-24 00:27:17 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.
Say what? Tell that to the 2 guys I saw out at the lighthouse in
Hatteras last week....one of the guys was out at the 3rd bar and was
almost stepping off onto the beach each time.

Someone drop it on you and your modified windsurfer? Or were you on your
ironing board again?
msdII
2004-09-24 14:59:31 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.
Gleshna
Gleshna, should that sentence not read "crowds that are assholes?"
Gleshna, do you know photos taken from above, on a bluff, make the
wave appear much larger than they are. The waves in here are not 3.5 X
OH. Those are
three feet max.

jose stugats/JALISCO
Gleshna
2004-09-24 20:35:36 UTC
Post by msdII
jose stugats/JALISCO
I read your comments ten times. No get.

Hang 11
2004-09-24 16:12:19 UTC
"Gleshna" <***@aol.com> wrote in message > Longboarders that go
leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.

Wrap the leash around your neck.

Unless you have been in the actual ocean in the last
five years, you have no right to bash anyone in this
NG, except for Shaft of course.

Lake surfing wannabe.
Gleshna
2004-09-24 20:36:23 UTC
Post by Hang 11
Unless you have been in the actual ocean in the last
Listen you loser, inferiority complex, dullard, ever hear of airplanes.

Hang 11
2004-09-24 21:46:19 UTC
I dunno. Do they have leashes or are they assholes too.
Cam Newton
2004-09-24 23:27:15 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Post by Hang 11
Unless you have been in the actual ocean in the last
Listen you loser, inferiority complex, dullard, ever hear of airplanes.
Gleshna
"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
No, what are airplanes?

Give it a break. A 6'3" chip without a nose guard is lots worse.

Stay outa the break if you can't hack it.
Gleshna
2004-09-25 04:23:42 UTC
(Cam Newton)
Stay outa the break if you can't hack it.
Go forth and mulitply yourself....and use your damn leash on your
longboard....conceit breath.

Raoul Duke
2004-09-25 02:47:12 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.
I would rather paddle out behind a leashless surfer who knows how to hold on
to his board than a leashed kook who doesn't know how to hold on. All the
leash does is limit the damage to a 6' radius around the person.
Hang 11
2004-09-25 03:21:29 UTC
All the
Post by Raoul Duke
leash does is limit the damage to a 6' radius around the person.
More like 20'+'. You have to figure in the height of the person. (head to
toe to 6'leash to board tip)

However, you can deduct 6' in Gleshna's case, since he has his leash wrapped
around his neck, and he is only 4'10".
Gleshna
2004-09-25 04:28:07 UTC
Didn't you already win ASKY several times already? Going for an all time
record now?

Gleshna
2004-09-25 04:26:58 UTC
"Raoul Duke"
I would rather paddle out behind a leashless surfer who knows how to hold on
to his board than a leashed kook who doesn't know how to hold on.
Of course, there is always the opinion of not paddlng out right behind someone,
but hey I realize that is too easy and simple.

george of the jungle
2004-09-26 02:07:02 UTC
Post by Raoul Duke
Post by Gleshna
Longboarders that go leashless in large surf with crowds are assholes.
I would rather paddle out behind a leashless surfer who knows how to hold on
to his board than a leashed kook who doesn't know how to hold on. All the
leash does is limit the damage to a 6' radius around the person.
Actually, it's way worse than that. I was out at a westside bay a
few years ago swimming back from the inside after a long ride when a
set wave hit a crowd of longboarders. A couple of the boards were
ripped away, leash and all. One woman who lost her board had to get
help to make it in. I stayed underwater for about 30 seconds until
all the boards and kooks washed by.

_g
khalid_abdul_salin
2004-09-26 23:22:17 UTC
Longboarders that go topless in large surf with crowds and assholes.
I would rather paddle out behind a troublsome surfer who knows how to hold
to his board than a leashed kook who doesn't know how to hold on. All the
leash does is limit the damage to a 6' radius around the person.
Actually, it's way worse than that. I was out at a westside bay a
few years ago swimming back from the inside after a long ride when a
set wave hit a crowd of longboarders. A couple of the boards were
ripped away, leash and all. One woman who lost her board had to get
help to work it in. I stayed underwater for about 30 seconds until
all the boards and kooks washed by.
A very wise muve, george, it's a jungle out there, and they ain't
gonna'cut you no slack.

khalid shamool asada
John A. Young
2004-10-06 08:11:54 UTC
Some people think that those that need leashes also need to learn how
to surf. How many of them would be out without the security of thier
leash? Water rescues were few and far between in the 60's and 70's.
Now when a leash breaks they need to be resued because they never
learned to swim. There wouldn't be large crowds if every dork had to
swin in after thier boards.

soljah1
Gleshna
2004-10-06 14:55:18 UTC
Post by John A. Young
Some people think that those that need leashes also need to learn how
to surf.
That is silly.

a) I often surf in front of rocks. If I lost my board it would be greatly
damaged.

b) In crowds if you want to try things on the edge, the leash allows you to do
this without endangering those beyone the length of the leash.

Paul Richardson
2004-10-06 17:45:47 UTC
Post by John A. Young
How many of them would be out without the security of thier
leash?
All.
Gleshna
"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
I try to surf at least a third of my sessions without a leash. There's
something about it that makes me feel somewhat more free in the water. It
does force you to be a bit more careful as mistakes can potentially result
in a long swim but what the hell. I mean, you are in the water just the same
Gleshna
2004-10-06 22:27:52 UTC
Post by Paul Richardson
I try to surf at least a third of my sessions without a leash.
I surfed for a decade before anyone even thought of leashes.

When one has visions of twinkle toe longboard dancing, a leash is a real pain.
More than a few times I have taken off only to find the leash wrapped around my
back leg, so its ride..shake...ride...shake...etc.

Paul Richardson
2004-10-06 22:48:51 UTC
Post by Gleshna
Post by Paul Richardson
I try to surf at least a third of my sessions without a leash.
I surfed for a decade before anyone even thought of leashes.
When one has visions of twinkle toe longboard dancing, a leash is a real pain.
More than a few times I have taken off only to find the leash wrapped around my
back leg, so its ride..shake...ride...shake...etc.
Gleshna
"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
I am still shuffling up to the nose, working on my cross-stepping though.
Lord knows I need a leash while learning that "twinkle-toes" stuff
Hang 11
2004-10-06 17:26:33 UTC
Post by John A. Young
Some people think that those that need leashes also need to learn how
to surf. How many of them would be out without the security of thier
leash? Water rescues were few and far between in the 60's and 70's.
Now when a leash breaks they need to be resued because they never
learned to swim. There wouldn't be large crowds if every dork had to
swin in after thier boards.
I guess you never surfed in the 60's or 70's (early). The crowds were thick,
the sets brought in tons of driftwood, each weighing 30+ pounds. It didn't
stop them then, and it wouldn't stop them now.

(I remember when leashes came out in the 70's. They were called goon cords).
For a while, you were a Kook if you used one.
Rico
2004-10-06 22:46:53 UTC
Post by Hang 11
Post by John A. Young
Some people think that those that need leashes also need to learn how
to surf. How many of them would be out without the security of thier
leash? Water rescues were few and far between in the 60's and 70's.
Now when a leash breaks they need to be resued because they never
learned to swim. There wouldn't be large crowds if every dork had to
swin in after thier boards.
I guess you never surfed in the 60's or 70's (early). The crowds were
thick, the sets brought in tons of driftwood, each weighing 30+ pounds. It
didn't stop them then, and it wouldn't stop them now.
(I remember when leashes came out in the 70's. They were called goon
cords). For a while, you were a Kook if you used one.
" Leashes are for Dogs man . "

Rico