Leonardo DiCaprio to portray Miki Dora?
Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
2004-05-19 05:16:06 UTC
Movies - Variety
Leo catches 'Waves' 05/12/2004

Tue May 11, 8:00 PM ET

Online Staff, STAFF

Leonardo DiCaprio (news)'s Appian Way banner has optioned feature
rights to "All for a Few Perfect Waves," David Rensin's upcoming bio
of surfer Miki Dora, with DiCaprio eyeing the central role.

"High Fidelity" scribe D.V. DeVincentis will adapt the oral biography.
Appian optioned the book from a proposal that Rensin, author of "The
Mailroom," sent to publishers earlier this month. Book will be
published by William Morrow in 2006.

Project falls under Appian's first-look deal with Initial
Entertainment. DiCaprio and Appian prexy Brad Simpson will produce,
with Rensin as co-producer and Barry Rosen as exec producer.

Dora, who was credited with sparking Malibu's surfing subculture
during the 1950s and '60s, was also a seductive prankster who had a
fickle relationship with his public persona. Frustrated with the
exploitation of the surfing lifestyle, he dropped out at the end of
the 1960s. In the early 1980s, he was arrested for check fraud and
spent time in French and American jails.

Simpson described Dora as "part Marlon Brando (news) in 'The Wild
Ones,' part Sid Vicious and part Cary Grant (news), all in board
shorts. He would crash Hollywood parties, charm all the guests and
leave with the most extraordinary girl on his arm and a collection of
filched credit cards in his pocket."

Filmmakers such as Art Linson and John Milius previously have tried to
bring Dora's story to the screen. However, the surfer made a habit of
teasing producers, announcing that he was ready to see a film made of
his life and entertaining offers, only to later pull away. Dora died
of cancer in January 2002.

Rosen brought the project to Appian, which worked with the Firm to
persuade Rensin's William Morris agents to show them his proposal
before it went to publishers. Appian optioned the proposal through its
deal with Initial and immediately approached DeVincentis, an
accomplished surfer, to handle the adaptation.

"When weaving nets, all threads count." - Charlie Chan
Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
"The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
2004-05-19 10:39:48 UTC
Post by Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
Movies - Variety
Leo catches 'Waves' 05/12/2004
Online Staff, STAFF
Dora, who was credited with sparking Malibu's surfing subculture
during the 1950s and '60s,
Saw reference to this, a few days ago. It appears that
Dora will be portrayed by another actor, not DiCaprio.

The article quoted above makes the same error as
another I read, on this webpage:
http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=4291

The joblo site said:
"Scratching your head and wondering who Miki Dora is? So was I.
He is the guy credited with sparking the surfing movement and
subculture in Malibu in the 50s and 60s. But once he saw his sport
being embraced by popular culture he felt out of the scene and became
involved in a life of crime."

BULLSHIT!!!!!

If anything, Dora was disgusted with the so-called
'subculture'. He saw the 'surfing movement' of the
Gidget era as the downfall of a way of life.
I also find it offensive that they claim he turned to
"a life of crime". Sure, he was a scam artist. And,
from what I know, he had a knack for living off
the generosity of friends and acquaintances. He
could hardly be called a career criminal, as they would
make it sound.

Chuck D (Public Enemy) said it best:
"Burn, Hollywood, BURN!!!"

A non-surfing friend, who's a movie buff, came
across the joblo article, and emailed me,
asking about Dora.
I sent her this link:
http://www.surfwriter.net/mikis_tribute.htm
-------------------------
Chexter
Rico
2004-05-19 12:11:40 UTC
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
[...]
Fuck Hollywood .
Goddam maggots .

Rico
N.C.Y.
Foon
2004-05-19 12:31:48 UTC
at says...
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
Saw reference to this, a few days ago. It appears that
Dora will be portrayed by another actor, not DiCaprio.
I think I would have picked Johnny Depp or maybe Ray Liotta.

or Don Cheadle...........(Miki was always very tan)

-Foon (or Woody Harrelson, just for that gaptooth thing)
surfen'doc
2004-05-19 18:10:27 UTC
Foon <***@removenewsguy.com> wrote in message

Omg, such a gullible ng. Forget Depp, Cheadie, diCaprio, they're
waiting to see scripts for Dewey Weber Story, David Nuuhiwa Story,
Dale Velzy Story, remake of Gidget, Wingnut Story, Endless Summer XII,
Mark Foo Story, beacause Surf Movies are big in Peoria, De Moines, and
Butte Montana, you jusy can't get enough of them. Sorry, gang, your
bubbles about to burst. No future in surfing these days, but keep on
dreaming.

POP GOES WEASEL
at says...
Surfer Bob
2004-05-19 22:54:51 UTC
...Sorry, gang, your bubbles about to burst. No future in surfing these days,
but keep on dreaming.
No commercial future for surfing? Cool. That is my dream come true.

"...The marketeers and profiteers have taken the surfing world, raked,
sifted and gleaned all that profits them by any means they can devise,
and soberly decided to toss us out with the chaff that profits them
not. We are free to surf in any macrocosmically perfect, unprofitable,
invisible style we please. Legions of kids will not swarm the lineup
aping our style. No judge will fall asleep watching us. If we go
surfing naked, no one will get slapped by a Style Nazi for failing to
properly laud the Emperor's New Clothes. Amen to that."

Macrocosmically invisible,
Surfer Bob
Foon
2004-05-19 23:27:44 UTC
surfen'doc says...
Post by surfen'doc
Omg, such a gullible ng. Forget Depp, Cheadie, diCaprio, they're
waiting to see scripts for Dewey Weber Story, David Nuuhiwa Story,
Dale Velzy Story, remake of Gidget, Wingnut Story, Endless Summer XII,
Mark Foo Story, beacause Surf Movies are big in Peoria, De Moines, and
Butte Montana, you jusy can't get enough of them.
I'm waiting for the script about Tubesteak, another illegitimate father of
modern day surfing.
Who will it take to play this legend? Someone with enormous talent. It's too bad
Walter Brennan is dead.
"Hey Peppina, did you close the barn door?"

-Foon (That's the Real McCoy)
Rico
2004-05-20 01:09:48 UTC
Post by Foon
surfen'doc says...
Post by surfen'doc
Omg, such a gullible ng. Forget Depp, Cheadie, diCaprio, they're
waiting to see scripts for Dewey Weber Story, David Nuuhiwa Story,
Dale Velzy Story, remake of Gidget, Wingnut Story, Endless Summer XII,
Mark Foo Story, beacause Surf Movies are big in Peoria, De Moines, and
Butte Montana, you jusy can't get enough of them.
I'm waiting for the script about Tubesteak, another illegitimate father of
modern day surfing.
Who will it take to play this legend? Someone with enormous talent. It's too bad
Walter Brennan is dead.
"Hey Peppina, did you close the barn door?"
-Foon (That's the Real McCoy)
I wanna play Porkchop .

Rico
Oliver
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-05-20 04:43:12 UTC
I'm waiting for the script about Tubesteak...
Who will it take to play this legend?
Jack Black.

next...
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ All your wave
_.-' '._ are belong to me!
Foon
2004-05-20 12:57:11 UTC
Timothy B. Maddux says...
Post by Timothy B. Maddux
Jack Black.
Usually the first words I utter entering a bar.

Though I found some oily smooth vodka in a basement Russian bar called Pravda in
NYC last weekend.
The Bolshevik babe waitress convinced me to try a brand I couldn't spell or
prounounce. But it went down smooth and mingled well with the fish eggs on a
cracker. Took me an hour to find the car and it was parked right next to the WTC
hole in the ground. Da "city" in May- priceless.

-Belle Luga
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-05-19 17:21:29 UTC
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
Saw reference to this, a few days ago. It appears that
Dora will be portrayed by another actor, not DiCaprio.
Probably way too soon to tell, at the pure rumor stage
at this point. Doesn't look like the script is even written
yet judging from the original post and the joblo article.
I would mentally file this one away with the oft-rumored
Mark Foo project that supposedly involves Tom Hanks and is
supposedly being written by Jon Krakauer.

DiCaprio's IMDB entry:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/

Miki's entry:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0233330/
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
BULLSHIT!!!!!
Agreed.
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ "From the essence of pure stoke
_.-' '._ springs all creation."
Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
2004-05-19 21:46:40 UTC
Post by Timothy B. Maddux
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
Saw reference to this, a few days ago. It appears that
Dora will be portrayed by another actor, not DiCaprio.
Probably way too soon to tell, at the pure rumor stage
at this point. Doesn't look like the script is even written
yet judging from the original post and the joblo article.
I would mentally file this one away with the oft-rumored
Mark Foo project that supposedly involves Tom Hanks and is
supposedly being written by Jon Krakauer.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0233330/
Post by "The Checkered Demon" <checkyd2000(at)yahoo.com>
BULLSHIT!!!!!
Agreed.
AFAIK there are currently two Dora books in train: David Resin's
biography and Tom Adler's 8 x 10 book of photos, "frame grabs," and
interviews with text by Craig Stecyk. I understand that Adler's book
is due out for Christmas and that Resin's book is not yet finished.

So, rumours aside, it looks like there could very well be a Hollyweird
film about Dora's life sometime in the future. The question is, what
actor *would* have the ability to convincingly portray Miki Dora?

Rico
2004-05-20 01:14:19 UTC
Post by Timothy B. Maddux
[...]
A movie about Miki would be blasphemous ; like pissing on his grave .
What's in it for him anyway but more misinterpretation ?

He's fucking dead .

Rico

Rico
Bravado
What's in it for any of us? Eh?
Surfer Bob
2004-05-20 17:33:21 UTC
Post by Rico
A movie about Miki would be blasphemous ; like pissing on his grave .
I guess. Is that to say he has a certain holiness for you?
Post by Rico
What's in it for him anyway but more misinterpretation ?
He flirted with many chances to sell out his life story while he was
alive. Maybe he intended never to do that (which might give his life a
certain kind of increased street legitimacy). I suspect that he never
counted on getting cancer and leaving so soon. I think he would have
eventually found the lure of the money irresistable if he had lived
long enough.
Post by Rico
He's fucking dead .
"In the long run we are all dead." John Maynard Keynes

So in a sense his life's story is now fair game. I think he was such a
colorful and culturally influential figure and Hollywood is so
chronically short on good story ideas and the location shots would be
so cost effective that the movie industry just won't be able to leave
it alone for too many more years.

I hope they do a halfway decent job of it when they do. A poor one is
likely and would be painful for all who knew better.

Surfer Bob
Rico
2004-05-20 18:58:27 UTC
Post by Rico
He's fucking dead .
"In the long run we are all dead." John Maynard Keynes
So in a sense his life's story is now fair game. I think he was such a
colorful and culturally influential figure and Hollywood is so
chronically short on good story ideas and the location shots would be
so cost effective that the movie industry just won't be able to leave
it alone for too many more years.
I hope they do a halfway decent job of it when they do. A poor one is
likely and would be painful for all who knew better.
Surfer Bob
They won't , and surfing will just get fucked over as per usual .
Send in the kooks , there ought to be kooks , forget it they're here ....

Rico
O.Fogg
2004-05-20 22:25:58 UTC
"Rico" <***@compost.net> wrote in message news:<nd7rc.39325

How do you guys know all this? Miki played games, he rolled the dice
and lost. Johnny Fain played games, but he's in a hamster cage going
in circles. It's the truth, but you don't know John "Jack" Schitt
about it.
Please tell me how you know.
oscar mayer
Post by Rico
Post by Rico
What's in it for him anyway but more misinterpretation ?
He flirted with many chances to sell out his life story while he was
alive. Maybe he intended never to do that (which might give his life a
certain kind of increased street legitimacy). I suspect that he never
counted on getting cancer and leaving so soon. I think he would have
eventually found the lure of the money irresistable if he had lived
long enough.
He's fucking dead .
Rico
shaft®
2004-05-20 22:29:38 UTC
Ya I thought it was funny how everyone had an opinion about whether
or not dora was a criminal based on what they watched on TV..

The brainwashed are the last to know that they are brainwashed.
oscar mayer
O.Fogg
2004-05-21 02:43:00 UTC
"shaft®" <***@the_pad.com> wrote in messagE

shaft, truer words were never spoken. Dropping a chain at the "Ranch"
and sneaking in, yanking a credit card off a stiff killed in a
horrific accident on PCH, cashing a stolen check in Sun Valley is
child's play. As you mention' folks wanna-bee part of the inside
looking out. These jerks don't know shit from Shinola and I'm blaming
Feigle for this whole mess. Miki was Miki, he had a way out but didn't
want the boredom.

oskie weinermobile
oscar mayer
Surfer Bob
2004-05-25 20:19:48 UTC
***@yahoo.com (O.Fogg) wrote:
These jerks don't know shit from Shinola... Miki was Miki...

Hey Toobs, you Da Man. You were there. Original Gangster and all that.
You have time to craft a paragraph or more about what Miki was really
like?

We've got to preserve the memory of our surfing elders if we're going
to have any sense of surfing history. Leave the generic popping off
about who doesn't know shit to Shaft. Anyone can do that. But you are
uniquely qualified to comment on your personal experiences of Miki.

You got time and inclination to tell us some good story, Uncle?

Respectfully,
Surfer Bob
Rico
2004-05-25 23:48:41 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
These jerks don't know shit from Shinola... Miki was Miki...
Hey Toobs, you Da Man. You were there. Original Gangster and all that.
You have time to craft a paragraph or more about what Miki was really
like?
We've got to preserve the memory of our surfing elders if we're going
to have any sense of surfing history. Leave the generic popping off
about who doesn't know shit to Shaft. Anyone can do that. But you are
uniquely qualified to comment on your personal experiences of Miki.
You got time and inclination to tell us some good story, Uncle?
Respectfully,
Surfer Bob
I think it's too late to expect cogency Bob .

Rico
NeoN D. SuRFeR
2004-05-26 01:01:37 UTC
NO ONE EVER EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

NN
http://sanonofre.com/blog
Rico
SLAPPY THE CLOWN
2004-05-26 16:22:21 UTC
Post by Rico
These jerks don't know Schitt from Shinola... Miki was Miki...
Hey Toobs, you Da Man. You were there. Original Gangster and all that.
You have time to craft a paragraph or more about what Miki was really
like?
We've got to preserve the memory of our surfing elders if we're going
to have any sense of surfing history. Leave the generic popping off
about who doesn't know shit to Shaft. Anyone can do that. But you are
uniquely qualified to comment on your personal experiences of Miki.
You got time and inclination to tell us some good story, Uncle?
Surfer Bob
I think it's too late to expect cogency Bob .
Rico
You sure have a way with words, Rico, what did surfing do without you?
"The Great Ocean of Atmosphere".

slappy crappee
oeansideblade
2004-05-26 03:05:24 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Hey Toobs, you Da Man. You were there. Original Gangster and all that.
You have time to craft a paragraph or more about what Miki was really
like? You got time and inclination to tell us some good story, Uncle?
Respectfully,
Surfer Bob
Toobs says thanks, SB, and where was your home beach a few years back.
TSJ, V.13 #4 has a piece titled the "Great Wave of Atmosphere" by
Ben Marcus, about Malibu during the late '50s. I've read it, it's
great. Dora, Fain, Aaberg, and why they were.

Dr.Mom
Surfer Bob
2004-05-26 16:39:05 UTC
Post by oeansideblade
Toobs says thanks, SB, and where was your home beach a few years back.
Lessee... '90-'95 San Diego County and thereabouts. '95-'01 Santa
Barbara County and thereabouts '01-date Ventura County and
thereabouts.
Post by oeansideblade
TSJ, V.13 #4 has a piece titled the "Great Wave of Atmosphere" by
Ben Marcus, about Malibu during the late '50s.
I'll look for it. Was Ben there then?

Please encourage Toobs to put it in writing, so future generations
don't have to rely on second hand and further removed sources of who,
what and why went down during a seminal period at one of the centers
of the surfing world. Preserving cultural history is important.

Surfer Bob
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-05-26 16:54:25 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Post by oeansideblade
TSJ, V.13 #4 has a piece titled the "Great Wave of Atmosphere" by
Ben Marcus, about Malibu during the late '50s.
I'll look for it. Was Ben there then?
Current issue is V13 N2 so you will have to wait.
Google of "ben marcus site:www.surfersjournal.com"
didn't find any hits with that title, so it doesn't
appear to be a SanO typo.
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ "Moderation in all things...
_.-' '._ including moderation."
shaft®
2004-05-26 17:59:11 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Please encourage Toobs to put it in writing, so future generations
don't have to rely on second hand and further removed sources of who,
what and why went down during a seminal period at one of the centers
of the surfing world.
Much better to let smug know-it-alls and notorious
crybabys speculate on usenet. More entertainment value.
Why is preserving surfing history that important?
Turby
2004-05-26 19:11:53 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Preserving cultural history is important.
Why is preserving surfing history that important?
Yeah. As the man said, "Those who fail to learn from history are
condemned to repeat it." I wouldn't mind repeating it.

Turby the Turbosurfer
Reginald Edit
2004-05-26 19:29:03 UTC
Post by shaft®
Why is preserving surfing history that important?
If for nothing else, then to prevent smug ignoramuses from thinking that
they did something "first".

Also, if cultural history includes board design, then it is important to
retain the knowledge of the good designs of the past, and to prevent
corporate greedheads from patenting prior art.

Plus everybody likes to hear a well told tale while sitting around the
campfire. It's in our genes.

But then, you know this. You used to publish what could be only
described as historical vignettes on your website as I recall. You're
just playing the village atheist in order to pick a fight. :-)

Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.

Come on! Pick your self up from the canvas. Get out there and start
throwing some of your old punches again, we know you can do it!
the urchin
2004-05-27 13:13:20 UTC
Post by Reginald Edit
Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.
huh?

-jw
Paul Richardson
2004-05-28 19:03:34 UTC
Post by Reginald Edit
Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.
huh?
-jw
I am impressed, you used desultory in a sentence, now for 10000 dollars,
what does it mean ?
Turby
2004-05-28 19:41:30 UTC
On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:03:34 GMT, Paul Richardson
Post by Paul Richardson
Post by Reginald Edit
Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.
huh?
I am impressed, you used desultory in a sentence, now for 10000 dollars,
what does it mean ?
In the Middle Ages, fresh water was often hard to find. In rural
coastal areas, a primitive (but elegant) method to remove salt from
seawater was used. The building which contained the apparatus was
called a "desultory."

Turby the Turbosurfer
NeoN D. SuRFeR
2004-05-29 00:08:29 UTC
Re: SMALL POTATOEShttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=desultory

NN
http://sanonofre.com/blog

what does it mean ?
shaft®
2004-05-27 17:59:38 UTC
Post by Reginald Edit
If for nothing else, then to prevent smug ignoramuses from thinking that
they did something "first".
That doesn't sound very important.
Post by Reginald Edit
Also, if cultural history includes board design, then it is important to
retain the knowledge of the good designs of the past, and to prevent
corporate greedheads from patenting prior art.
I wouldn't consider that cultural history. More like commercial
patents and design evolution. I'm all for boards getting better and
faster. Might be a crossover topic?
Post by Reginald Edit
Plus everybody likes to hear a well told tale while sitting around the
campfire. It's in our genes.
That doesn't sound very important either. Although fun.

Two weeks ago, surferbawb asserted it was perilous to not
watch TV. So I'm guessing that when he says it's important
to retain surf history, I'm thinking he's talking out of his ass
as usual. But lets' see...
Post by Reginald Edit
But then, you know this. You used to publish what could be only
described as historical vignettes on your website as I recall. You're
just playing the village atheist in order to pick a fight. :-)
: )
I was but now lets take it a step further. Somebody fetch the URI
from that skinny little dude in New Zealand or whatever 3rd world
country he's from , and lets go over YUPPIE SURF HISTORY,
blow by blow.
Post by Reginald Edit
Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.
Come on! Pick your self up from the canvas. Get out there and start
throwing some of your old punches again, we know you can do it!
Okay! But I'm taking on everybody who thinks surf history is important.
Doughboy and Foodman are no match for me.

All you feeble minded hero worshippers, this is your beeg chance!
fannie fhantom
2004-05-27 22:27:55 UTC
Post by shaft®
Okay! But I'm taking on everybody who thinks surf history is important.
Ploughboy and Roodman are no match for me.
All you feeble minded hero worshippers, this is your beeg chance!
I'm so confused here. What surf history. There's no surf history here,
anymore than there's hop-scotch history. I'm awfully sorry, but I just
don't get it. If there ever was a surf history where'd it go?

duke kahanamoku/pepeete
Surfer Bob
2004-05-27 23:07:36 UTC
...I'm taking on everybody who thinks surf history is important.
...All you feeble minded hero worshippers, this is your beeg chance!
In C.S. Lewis'1943 story "The Screwtape Letters," the devil
(Screwtape) advises his nephew and disciple (a minor devil) to corrupt
people by cultivating in them disdain for the past. "It is most
important thus to cut every generation off from all others," Screwtape
says, "for where learning makes a free commerce between the ages there
is always the danger that the characteristic errors of one may be
corrected by the characteristic truths of another." The devil then
gets busy promoting disrespect for the old as a means to damning the
young.

Sound like anyone you know?
shaft®
2004-05-28 00:16:33 UTC
"Surfer Bob" <***@hotmail.com> wrote

Okay we have our first feeble minded hero worshipper up to bat...

Wow. Quoting a christian author while calling someone a devil...

George bush would be proud of you!
Post by Surfer Bob
In C.S. Lewis'1943 story "The Screwtape Letters," the devil
(Screwtape) advises his nephew and disciple (a minor devil) to corrupt
people by cultivating in them disdain for the past. "It is most
important thus to cut every generation off from all others," Screwtape
says, "for where learning makes a free commerce between the ages there
is always the danger that the characteristic errors of one may be
corrected by the characteristic truths of another." The devil then
gets busy promoting disrespect for the old as a means to damning the
young.
Sound like anyone you know?
Not really... I'm sure there is truth in there somewhere but also
a shit load of baloney as is usually the case when a subset of the
target group define their own history. But the package must be
purchased as a whole and anyone who challenges that notion
is called an outsider or a devil or even a terrorsist by those who
subscribe to the status quo.

Wait that does sound like someone I know...

Strike one!
Surfer Bob
2004-05-28 16:55:55 UTC
...I'm sure there is truth in there somewhere but also
a shit load of baloney...
Right on! So we both agree up to this point that history in general
has some value. That's a start.
...as is usually the case when a subset of the
target group define their own history. But the package must be
purchased as a whole and anyone who challenges that notion
is called an outsider or a devil or even a terrorsist by those who
subscribe to the status quo.
Whoops! Now we're on the Planet of Resentful Wannabees With Giant
Friggin' Chips on Their Shoulders. Exactly what subset of which target
group is denying you the use of your own discernment and judgement? I
ask Tubesteak to tell me a first hand story about Miki Dora and you
see the nefarious hand of the some Illuminati Conspiracy? Put the bong
down, Dick! You need some fresh air.

You kooked so well with my first quote, I'll give you another to
misinterpret:

"The smashing of idols is in itself such a preoccupation that it is
almost impossible for the iconoclast (SB: that's you, sweet cheeks) to
look clearly into a future when there will not be many idols left to
smash."
- Walter Lippmann

Kiss kiss,
Surfer Bob
Doctor Duce
2004-05-27 23:35:34 UTC
Post by Reginald Edit
Your fading and increasingly desultory spleen would be better vented in
the direction of the pathetic surge of low self-esteem driven, "me-too"
east coast chauvinism that has reared its ugly head on this newsgroup.
Come on! Pick your self up from the canvas. Get out there and start
throwing some of your old punches again, we know you can do it!
Okay! But I'm taking on everybody who thinks surf history is important.
Doughboy and Foodman are no match for me.
All you feeble minded hero worshippers, this is your beeg chance!
Q: Dear Doctor Duce,

Why is this Shaft person so angry all the time? Is he sick?

A: Shaft suffers from an unfortunate condition known as bloviation. He
bloviates at the drop of a hat. The cause of his condition is a
self-indulgent resentment of anyone that knows more than he does.
Therefore, he is angry all the time. Sadly there is no cure for this
condition once it becomes a way of life. Ignore him.

Have a nice wave,

Dr Duce
Surfer Bob
2004-05-28 16:22:52 UTC
Post by Doctor Duce
Q: Dear Doctor Duce,
Why is this Shaft person so angry all the time? Is he sick?
A: Shaft suffers from an unfortunate condition known as bloviation. He
bloviates at the drop of a hat. The cause of his condition is a
self-indulgent resentment of anyone that knows more than he does.
Therefore, he is angry all the time. Sadly there is no cure for this
condition once it becomes a way of life. Ignore him.
He does tend to keep the blowhard speeches thankfully brief however,
favoring brief cryptic sneers over long-winded rhetoric.

Surfer Bob
Surfer Bob
2004-06-05 00:42:51 UTC
Post by shaft®
Okay! But I'm taking on everybody who thinks surf history is important.
Doughboy and Foodman are no match for me.
All you feeble minded hero worshippers, this is your beeg chance!
Hey limpdick pitcher, are you going to start throwing that friggin'
baseball over the plate here, or are you just going to trashtalk 'til
we all fall asleep? You are letting Reg and me down, not to mention
all those rich whiteman surfers behind the shithouse at the 'Bu.

You said you were going to deconstruct white men's surf history. You
ain't done shit yet.

Get busy, girlfriend! Put on that cute little thinking cap of yours,
fire up that big glass dick for a little inspiration and tell us how
it really went down. The Tubesteak's of the world are going to write
our history by default if the REAL players are too busy getting stoned
and chasing skirt to even show up.

Surfer Bob
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-06-05 01:49:47 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
You said you were going to deconstruct white men's surf history.
You ain't done shit yet.
What has he ever said or done to make you
expect that he will do what he says?
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ All your wave
_.-' '._ are belong to me!
Surfer Bob
2004-06-08 21:59:08 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
You said you were going to deconstruct white men's surf history.
You ain't done shit yet.
What has he ever said or done to make you expect that he will do what he says?
Absolutely nothing. But I always encourage people to exceed
expectations and do their best.

"We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher! We want a pitcher, not a belly
itcher! We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher! We want a pitcher, not
a belly itcher! We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher! We want a
pitcher, not a belly itcher!"

Get your ass in gear, Dick. I want some deconstructed history.

Surfer Bob
Gleshna
2004-06-05 13:54:01 UTC
RICH, WHITE MEN'S SURF HISTORY DECONSTRUCTED: "Things aren't as good as they
used to be and probably never were."

Gleshna

Overheard at 2004 ESA Northeastern Regional Surf Contest:

"F%&*, I got beaten by a guy from the Great Lakes!"
msdII
2004-06-08 01:41:59 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
The Tubesteak's of the world are going to write
our history by default if the REAL players are too busy getting stoned
and chasing skirt to even show up.
'beto, don't forget TSJ 13/4 out Sept. Thanks for keeping it real.

Pat Curran
Surfer Bob
Gleshna
2004-06-08 02:41:14 UTC
Post by Gleshna
RICH, WHITE MEN'S SURF HISTORY DECONSTRUCTED
Huh? When I was a kid, the poorer you were the closer you lived to the surf?

Somebody don't know dem history.

silly willy nilly
2004-05-27 00:21:38 UTC
"shaft®" <***@the_pad.com> wrote in message

"Why is preserving surfing history that important?"

Preserving surfing history is very impotent, if not boogie riders shall
prevail and force all surfboard riders out. TSJ 13 #4 (mid September)
shall explain the semantics for all except the slow of learning.
Surfer Bob, you are wise beyond your years pointing out the value
of surfing history. Thank you.

silly willy frills and all
Litoralis at howzyourlatin.com
2004-05-27 00:35:26 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Preserving cultural history is important.
Why is preserving surfing history that important?
So that future generations don't turn into a bitter, spiteful,
belligerent little pricks like you.
government mule
2004-05-31 23:39:12 UTC
Post by Litoralis at howzyourlatin.com
So that future generations don't turn into a bitter, spiteful,
belligerent little pricks like you.
That's really funny, "little prick like you". Hell, big shot, I've got a shlung
that would choke a horse.
Post by Litoralis at howzyourlatin.com
Please encourage Toobs to put it in writing, so future generations.
Surfer Bob, try this for fun:

tubesteak.org/blog

Remember, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

biggest of all, joe
NeoN D. SuRFeR
2004-05-27 01:02:38 UTC
http://www.surfingheritage.com

Is that a rhetorical question?

NN
http://sanonofre.com/blog
Surfer Bob
2004-05-27 03:25:55 UTC
No particular reason that you would appreciate. Go back to sleep, punkin.
Surfer Bob
2004-05-27 19:00:28 UTC
Post by shaft®
Post by Surfer Bob
Preserving cultural history is important.
Why is preserving surfing history that important?
As that famous albino Bob Marley said:

"If you know your history,
Then you would know where you coming from,
Then you wouldn't have to ask me,
Who the 'eck do I think I am."

"Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty
Rat race, rat race, rat race"
shaft®
2004-05-27 19:18:17 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty
Do you know what that means?
Surfer Bob
2004-05-28 22:18:59 UTC
Post by shaft®
Post by Surfer Bob
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty
Do you know what that means?
Aw, Dick. Your short term memory loss is really getting bad. We've had
this conversation before. I think I do. You think I don't. But you
won't say what you think he meant.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=d9447e44ce7613c&seekm=d5579a18.0401261111.7e5a6486%40posting.google.com#link21

It clearly means something to both of us. But I asked you first.
Ball's in your court, girlfriend.

Surfer Bob
Timothy B. Maddux
2004-05-21 02:34:19 UTC
Post by Rico
surfing will just get fucked over as per usual .
You're probably right, but Dora was a willing
participant the first time around. The only
thing that would be more fitting is if the
director demanded all the money up front and then
bailed with it to Bali after turning in a few
empty film cans.
--
.-``'. Tim Maddux
.` .`~ "The waves, as always,
_.-' '._ hold the more insidious addiction."
Rico

Rico
doc
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5ct2e7%247uo%241%40mark.ucdavis.edu ...from somebody who dealt with him.
Heavy Haulage
From somebody dealt with himself.
Surfer Bob
2004-05-21 16:21:55 UTC
Post by Heavy Haulage
Post by doc
The only thing that would be more fitting is if the
director demanded all the money up front and then
bailed with it to Bali after turning in a few empty film cans.
<big grin> Yes, that would be the essence of the man, wouldn't it?
Post by Heavy Haulage
Post by doc
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5ct2e7%247uo%241%40mark.ucdavis.edu ...from somebody who dealt with him.
(Possibly Will's most definitive statement on Dora)
Thanks Doc, for chasing that one down. I was thinking of that post too.
Post by Heavy Haulage
From somebody dealt with himself.
That is immaterial. Will was a very straight shooter.
Heavy Haulage
2004-05-22 07:34:21 UTC
Post by Surfer Bob
Post by Heavy Haulage
Post by doc
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5ct2e7%247uo%241%40mark.ucdavis.edu ...from somebody who dealt with him.
(Possibly Will's most definitive statement on Dora)
Thanks Doc, for chasing that one down. I was thinking of that post too.
Post by Heavy Haulage
From somebody dealt with himself.
That is immaterial. Will was a very straight shooter.
But I thought he hanged himself.
shaft®
2004-05-21 14:00:51 UTC
"doc" <***@communistcastration.net> wrote
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=5ct2e7%247uo%241%40mark.ucdavis.edu
...from somebody who dealt with him.

"my memories of Dora consist of him snaking me blatantly,
then fading a cuttie right at me as the wave got critical, causing me to
lose my board and fall on a barnacle-encrusted rock, leaving a chunk of
flesh behind. Feels just great when the salt water hits it."

This makes dora a criminal?

More likely makes will a crybaby.

Other ppl on that thread expressed different opinions of dora after
meeting him or being around him.
chubs
2004-05-21 19:08:52 UTC
"shaft®" <***@the_pad.com> wrote in message

"my memories of Dora consist of him snaking me blatantly"
Post by shaft®
Post by shaft®
This makes dora a criminal?
No! It doesn't make him a criminal. It's merely a welcome to Malibu greeting.
90265 is not a learner's beach. Malibu, you either schitt or get off the pot.

luv-gallo.hardsalami
chubs
2004-05-24 21:23:43 UTC
Post by Rico
They won't , and surfing will just get fucked over as per usual .
Send in the kooks , there ought to be kooks , forget it they're here ....
Rico
Rico says:
"Send in the Kooks".

http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=DcX6UBahI9s%3D

giant salami makes me hungry
XPEH
jb
2004-05-23 05:57:08 UTC
Who is Micky Dora & Leonardo DiCaprio? Are these people I need
to be worried about?

-jb

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:16:06 +1200, "Robert Feigel (aka Bob)"
Leo catches 'Waves' 05/12/2004
doc
Leo catches 'Waves' 05/12/2004
msdII
2004-05-23 16:20:55 UTC
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
Post by jb
Who is Micky Dora & Leonardo DiCaprio? Are these people I need
to be worried about?
-jb
Open letter to Doc and -jb:
I dunno', are either one of you notorius. What do you think
about David Rensin. Do either of you possess 1/100 of Dora's credentials.
Face the music boyz, you two never were, and worst yet, never will be.

SORRY!
doc
2004-05-23 16:56:02 UTC
ah yes, another pathetic san onofre profile.

<Block Sender>

plonk
Post by msdII
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
SORRY!
NeoN D. SuRFeR
2004-05-23 20:50:19 UTC
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=profile

NN
http://sanonofre.com/blog
Post by doc
ah yes, another pathetic san onofre profile.
<Block Sender>
plonk
Post by msdII
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
SORRY!
SLAPPY THE CLOWN
2004-05-24 03:29:20 UTC
ah yes, another sad and pathetic san onofre profile.
plonk/shreck
FADE IN:

INT FAMILY FUED QUIZ TAPING NIGHT

Alt.Surfing Panel Member "doc": "Miki, duh I dunno."

Other panel members clap showing exuberance, "Good answer "doc"

good answer!" Good answer! "doc".

slappy knows
Post by msdII
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
SORRY!
jb
2004-05-29 05:04:34 UTC
Post by msdII
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
Post by jb
Who is Micky Dora & Leonardo DiCaprio? Are these people I need
to be worried about?
-jb
I dunno', are either one of you notorius. What do you think
about David Rensin. Do either of you possess 1/100 of Dora's credentials.
Face the music boyz, you two never were, and worst yet, never will be.
SORRY!
Well, let's just close this little letter of yours. I personally
am a nobody, and I will always be a never was, and I still don't
give a rat's ass about some SoCal beach bum and hollywood pretty
boy who is pretending to save the "environment."

Now, if those are the people you are into, well, good for you!
We all need our heros... from Big Bird to PeeWee Herman.

-jb
NeoN D. SuRFeR
2004-05-29 14:53:30 UTC
Big Bird & PeeWee Herman.

TWO OF MY ALL TIME FAVES!!!!

NN
http://bigbirdandpeewee.sanonofre.com/blog
Post by jb
Post by msdII
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
doc
-jb
Rich
2004-06-08 22:53:18 UTC
"Who is Miki Dora??" Maybe the greatest stylist of them all (Phil
Edwards was comparable) and one of THE great personalities in surfing.
And PLEASE tell me that Leonardo DiCaprio is not going to play Miki.
DiCaprio is a punk and I don't want him besmirching Dora's image.
He's the wrong guy for the part.
Bob Barnett
2004-06-08 23:01:54 UTC
Post by Rich
"Who is Miki Dora??" Maybe the greatest stylist of them all (Phil
Edwards was comparable) and one of THE great personalities in surfing.
And PLEASE tell me that Leonardo DiCaprio is not going to play Miki.
DiCaprio is a punk and I don't want him besmirching Dora's image.
He's the wrong guy for the part.
Ian McShane of Deadwood could play the old Dora

"White Cocksuckers!"
No Way Hozay
Waddabout middle-aged dora? Is mike nader out of rehab?
Paul Richardson
2004-07-09 23:28:51 UTC
Post by Bob Barnett
Post by Rich
"Who is Miki Dora??" Maybe the greatest stylist of them all (Phil
Edwards was comparable) and one of THE great personalities in surfing.
And PLEASE tell me that Leonardo DiCaprio is not going to play Miki.
DiCaprio is a punk and I don't want him besmirching Dora's image.
He's the wrong guy for the part.
Ian McShane of Deadwood could play the old Dora
Waddabout middle-aged dora? Is mike nader out of rehab?
I thought Cornholio was gonna do it

Rich
2004-06-08 23:06:48 UTC
Post by doc
nah, man, nor care about.
Post by jb
Who is Micky Dora & Leonardo DiCaprio? Are these people I need
to be worried about?
-jb
On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:16:06 +1200, "Robert Feigel (aka Bob)"
Post by Robert Feigel (aka Bob)
Movies - Variety
Leo catches 'Waves' 05/12/2004
"Who is Miki Dora??" Just about the greatest stylist ever (Phil
Edwards may be comparable). Of course that's just my opinion. He was
also one of the GREAT personalities in surfing. And PLEASE tell me
that Leonardo DiCaprio is NOT going to play Dora. DiCaprio is a punk
and I don't want him besmirching Dora's image. Long live DaCat.