The Fishpoker hocks up a big one
Foon
2006-09-02 04:31:29 UTC
It was a clandestine and highly secret mission. I had to lie to MrsFoon and tell
her I was going up to Rod's to help plan the GP2006. Our real destination wasn't
even revealed to me until we were under-way the next morning. Security was tight
at the Rodgers house as I got a thorough sniffing by the perimeter guard/weapons
detecting dog, "Caesar," before I was granted entrance. Sheesh, good thing I
wasn't holding. I even had to sleep in his room.

Up early and fueled with "regular" tar pit coffee we hit the Big I-95 and headed
North. In the gray drizzly morning Rodrigo negotiating the morning rush like
the real road warrior he is. 30 minutes into the trip Rodski started to twitch
badly which meant he needed his morning fix of Charbucks. We picked up a road
tar espresso for him and I what I thought was a "light" house blend until I
tasted it. Now I've had a perforated ulcer in my life and damn if the first sips
of that shit didn't remind me of my own stomach acid dripping onto my pancreas.
Fuggetaboudit. Doctors should pay Charbucks to sell that swill.

Soon our destination was revealed to me. No wonder the secrecy -the site of the
Longboard transfer was the home break of a former ASer and original GPer. Highly
classified. Through rain and mindless Jersey traffic Rodrigo surfed the
Semitruck wave of behemoths cruising at an easy 80 mph. Furtive calls to a
secret contact named "the fishpoker" brought us closer to a rendezvous at the
end of a road named..... Hold it gotta sneeze. Now where were we.

We pulled into the unnamed beachtown where we immediately noticed security was
heavy. Surveillance cameras and local beach Gestapo all seemed to be looking at
us.

Suspiciously on a late August morning, conditions were not conducive for looking
like visiting beachgoers. There was nobody on the beach or in the water.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/dba1cab8.jp

More last minute calls on a "clean" phone brought the principles within minutes
of the transfer.

Finally, a conspicuous orange Honda Element came slowly down the road sans any
kind of board on the roof. "We've been duped" I thought and suggested to Rodski
we leave immediately. The Element took a a quick U turn pulled into an illegal
space and out popped our contact, "the Fishpoker."

We asked for ID, and damn, didn't he have it. The "fishpoker" packs a fishpoker.

The fishpoker reached into the back of his ride and produced the goods.

We checked over the packaged and confirmed is was the AS Long Board

Transfer complete, nice frickin board.

All this espionage makes a guy hungry. The fishpoker's favorite joint in the
unnamed beach town was an Irish Tavern.

Where we repaired to refuel for our trip home.

That fishpoker is quick with the check and our $$ had hardly cleared our pockets
when he had already paid the bill. Thanks fishpoker, you're a good man.

Later on the trip back we received a anonymous (?) call from the fishpoker. He
claimed that maybe it was him or just the crappy surf conditions, but during
the entire encounter he felt like we were being watched.

Nah, couldn't be.
The AS Long board is safely stored in a high security storage facility with a
Sears remote opener.

-Foon
Foon
2006-09-02 04:50:25 UTC
Surfer Bob
2006-09-02 05:14:33 UTC
Good work, men. Good opsec.

I never quite got the "Fishpoker" moniker until I saw the spearfishing
pic. I'd always had an absurd mental image along these lines:

You boys had best ride that longboard at least once each, for
propriety's sake.Who knows what curse of abombinable flatness (or
flatulence?) might befall one who fails to ride?

I would not risk it if I were you. Get thee unto the wave and find
thyself.

AwooOOO!!!
Surfer Bob
Mike G.
2006-09-02 14:53:58 UTC
http://birdiefoster.lockergnome.net/06-05-14otf_poker.gif
You boys had best ride that longboard at least once each, for
propriety's sake.Who knows what curse of abombinable flatness (or
flatulence?) might befall one who fails to ride?
I would not risk it if I were you. Get thee unto the wave and find
thyself.
AwooOOO!!!
Surfer Bob
That's funny Bob, I like the picture! Don't feel bad, I was calling
one of our west coast photo phenoms "Awe fer sure" until someone
pointed out the obvious...

MIke G.
Awe F'shore
You wouldn't be the first :)
ljswahine
2006-09-03 15:21:55 UTC
Post by Mike G.
That's funny Bob, I like the picture! Don't feel bad, I was calling
one of our west coast photo phenoms "Awe fer sure" until someone
pointed out the obvious...
MIke G.
Me too, somehow I finally figured it out. Especially since my
interpretation didn't quite seem to go with the personality :-)

ljs
is it an east coast thing, or just more valley talk
Turby
2006-09-03 16:43:54 UTC
Post by ljswahine
Post by Mike G.
That's funny Bob, I like the picture! Don't feel bad, I was calling
one of our west coast photo phenoms "Awe fer sure" until someone
pointed out the obvious...
MIke G.
Me too, somehow I finally figured it out. Especially since my
interpretation didn't quite seem to go with the personality :-)
ljs
is it an east coast thing, or just more valley talk
As any fan of Non Sequiter knows, it's a Maine thing.
Turby the Turbosurfer
shaft®
2006-09-02 05:32:52 UTC
Post by Foon
Now I've had a perforated ulcer in my life and damn if the first sips
of that shit didn't remind me of my own stomach acid dripping onto my pancreas.
Fuggetaboudit. Doctors should pay Charbucks to sell that swill.
Where we repaired to refuel for our trip home.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/4e8ed182.jpg
Ahh yea. Tater tots! And you are ragging on starbucks for their coffee?

You have the taste of a jackass...
Foon
2006-09-02 20:51:38 UTC
Post by shaft®
Ahh yea. Tater tots! And you are ragging on starbucks for their coffee?
You have the taste of a jackass...
Only a Seattle yuppie with vision destroyed by years of UpChucks caffeine abuse
would mistake genuine Joisey Irish Tavern homefries for tater tots. Lose the
color tinted contacts, brush your hair into a nice Bob's Big Boy wave and go get
some decent glasses. Btw, the Bloody Mary was made from scratch, not with a mix.

-Foon
shaft®
2006-09-06 00:59:59 UTC
Post by Foon
Only a Seattle yuppie with vision destroyed by years of UpChucks caffeine abuse
would mistake genuine Joisey Irish Tavern homefries for tater tots.
Oh. Well why didn't you say something...

They are Hoooooooome Fries!

<eye roll>

Waste of time...
Surfer Bob
2006-09-06 02:39:51 UTC
Post by shaft®
<eye roll>
Waste of time...
You are so cute when you trot out your 14yo girl act! Bop in here for
the first time in weeks, start a snippy li'l argument about "tater tots
or Joisey homefries," then roll your leetle mascara eyes, huff, stomp
your little foot, and whine that they're wasting your time?

Lol. I remember when you were a real man and a real surfer.

Go to the little girl's room and check your makeup, sweetheart.Try to
think of something interesting to entertain us while you're in there.
Best if it's about surfing.

Surfer Bob
rodndtube
paradise
2006-09-03 00:05:14 UTC
Nice write up Foon.....liked the story angle.

So whats the plan now guys for the AS longboard ?
The downunder boys are scheming to get our hands on it !

Alvin with his business and surf trips overseas could be the opportunistic
person to aquire the AS longboard and bring it down under ?

......My Preccccccc ....iouuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssss !

Gollum NZed
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/59d45e2f.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/9301a456.jpg
Finally, a conspicuous orange Honda Element came slowly down the road sans any
kind of board on the roof. "We've been duped" I thought and suggested to Rodski
we leave immediately. The Element took a a quick U turn pulled into an illegal
space and out popped our contact, "the Fishpoker."
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/c968e7e5.jpg
We asked for ID, and damn, didn't he have it. The "fishpoker" packs a fishpoker.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/3d1c3116.jpg
The fishpoker reached into the back of his ride and produced the goods.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/09248dad.jpg
We checked over the packaged and confirmed is was the AS Long Board
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/679011dc.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/659c447b.jpg
Transfer complete, nice frickin board.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/b21c8044.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/8e15b0e1.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/220cc5ff.jpg
-Foon
ljswahine
2006-09-03 00:19:39 UTC
It was a clandestine and highly secret mission. ...
We pulled into the unnamed beachtown where we immediately noticed security was
heavy. Surveillance cameras and local beach Gestapo all seemed to be looking at
us.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/59d45e2f.jpg
Great story Foon. Sorry I missed my chance to sign the board. Been
hanging out in those parts lately, home this weekend playing with
computers, etc....

ljs
Turby
2006-09-19 17:34:02 UTC
Post by Foon
It was a clandestine and highly secret mission. I had to lie to MrsFoon and tell
her I was going up to Rod's to help plan the GP2006.
Did she make you pay for that transgression?
Post by Foon
Our real destination wasn't
even revealed to me until we were under-way the next morning. Security was tight
at the Rodgers house as I got a thorough sniffing by the perimeter guard/weapons
detecting dog, "Caesar," before I was granted entrance. Sheesh, good thing I
wasn't holding. I even had to sleep in his room.
Oh, like you've never been in the doghouse before, eh?
Post by Foon
We checked over the packaged and confirmed is was the AS Long Board
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/679011dc.jpg
Transfer complete, nice frickin board.
Well, except for that psychedelic fin.
Post by Foon
All this espionage makes a guy hungry. The fishpoker's favorite joint in the
unnamed beach town was an Irish Tavern.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/8e15b0e1.jpg
Bud Light? oooh, now that's a high class joint.
Post by Foon
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/4e8ed182.jpg
That fishpoker is quick with the check and our $$ had hardly cleared our pockets
when he had already paid the bill. Thanks fishpoker, you're a good man.
I taught him well, it seems, but I'm a little surprised you let him
get away with it, him saving to put his kid through college 'n all.
I'm still working on that move you showed me - the "where'd I put my
wallet" move.
Turby the Turbosurfer
Mike G.
2006-09-19 19:36:54 UTC
Post by Foon
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/wfover/sandbox/4e8ed182.jpg
That fishpoker is quick with the check and our $$ had hardly cleared our pockets
when he had already paid the bill. Thanks fishpoker, you're a good man.
I taught him well, it seems, but I'm a little surprised you let him
get away with it, him saving to put his kid through college 'n all.
I'm still working on that move you showed me - the "where'd I put my
wallet" move.
--
Turby the Turbosurfer
Some of you old guys are quicker than others ;-)

Mike G.
Foon
2006-09-19 20:17:14 UTC
Turby says...
Post by Turby
Did she make you pay for that transgression?
Not really but I had to pass on the GP due to some of her family health issues.
Post by Turby
Oh, like you've never been in the doghouse before, eh?
Yeah, but it's usually at my own home.
Post by Turby
Post by Foon
Transfer complete, nice frickin board.
Well, except for that psychedelic fin.
I was starting to get flashbacks looking at it.
Post by Turby
Bud Light? oooh, now that's a high class joint.
Not at all. There's a certain ambiance to Jersey taverns and diners I have not
found anywhere else. Very homey. They did have Guinness and other Irish
beverages. I had a handmade Bloody Mary. HOT and spicy, no mix.
Post by Turby
I taught him well, it seems, but I'm a little surprised you let him
get away with it, him saving to put his kid through college 'n all.
I'm still working on that move you showed me - the "where'd I put my
wallet" move.
I was bucks out and ready to pay the bill but Mike had a certain determined look
about him (the kind you seem to always have) and since I was on his turf I
didn't want to mix it up with the lunch time Jersey contingent. We'll get him
when he comes down the Delmarva.

-Foon