Tropical storm Alex
Paul Richardson
2004-08-02 18:04:09 UTC
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-02 18:26:16 UTC
Post by Paul Richardson
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
Only the *west coast USA experts* know for sure ;) Sounds like a good
excuse as any to get out of Orange City... some clean salt spray
is better than bioaerosols anyday!

P.S. Give it 24 hrs or so and just call it Hurricane Alex ;)

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
SKIPPER
2004-08-02 18:54:27 UTC
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by Paul Richardson
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
Only the *west coast USA experts* know for sure ;) Sounds like a good
excuse as any to get out of Orange City... some clean salt spray
is better than bioaerosols anyday!
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high

The only thing he's ready for is retirement.

-PA
lp
2004-08-02 19:11:36 UTC
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.

lp
r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-02 23:02:20 UTC
Post by lp
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.
lp
add 3 digits to make it worth my while!

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
lp
2004-08-02 23:29:25 UTC
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.
lp
add 3 digits to make it worth my while!
ok, $10.000
now get out there and stand!
though i don't know if you'll get oh. the news report today was talking
about 5-8'. thats hardly headhigh in blakes book.
r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-03 03:00:54 UTC
Post by lp
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.
lp
add 3 digits to make it worth my while!
ok, $10.000
now get out there and stand!
though i don't know if you'll get oh. the news report today was talking
about 5-8'. thats hardly headhigh in blakes book.
I only stand when in line to buy good ale or whiskey, or am desperate for
a cappuccino while on the road... at the ATM, at the rail for communion,
or when squeezing a cute woman... but there are so many other options in
life to be stuck in a statue mode!!!

P.S. Three digits the other way wise ass ;) Hmmm, 5-8' maybe down at
Hatteras but we won't be catching the best swell window on this one. Foon
and I would be heading up to Long Island if I were able to get away. They
might be catching some 5-8' or further north. Waiting for the Rico 'n
Chexster 'n Urchin reports.

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
SKIPPER
2004-08-03 03:42:42 UTC
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.
add 3 digits to make it worth my while!
ok, $10.000
now get out there and stand!
though i don't know if you'll get oh. the news report today was talking
about 5-8'. thats hardly headhigh in blakes book.
I only stand when in line to buy good ale or whiskey, or am desperate
for a cappuccino while on the road... at the ATM, at the rail for
communion, or when squeezing a cute woman... but there are so many
other options in life to be stuck in a statue mode!!!
I see.

First its "Make it worth my while" which is laughable. Like there are
very few things I'd rather do than surf OH waves, you wouldn't need to
pay me anything.

Then, when money is offered, weasel out the back.

I'm extending my original offer to Food as well. Either of you
ride an overhead wave standing up on a surfboard, $10.
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Foon and I would be heading up to Long Island if I were able to get
away. They might be catching some 5-8' or further north.
Stay by your computer, keyboard jockey.

-PA
george of the jungle
2004-08-03 07:58:24 UTC
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by lp
Post by SKIPPER
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
rod, with ts alex on its way, thats an easy $10.
more retirement $s.
lp
add 3 digits to make it worth my while!
ok, $10.000
now get out there and stand!
though i don't know if you'll get oh. the news report today was talking
about 5-8'. thats hardly headhigh in blakes book.
I only stand when in line to buy good ale or whiskey, or am desperate for
a cappuccino while on the road... at the ATM, at the rail for communion,
or when squeezing a cute woman... but there are so many other options in
life to be stuck in a statue mode!!!
P.S. Three digits the other way wise ass ;)
for you $0.01

Why stop with 3 digits when Skipper is ready with a full fist?
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Hmmm, 5-8' maybe down at
Hatteras but we won't be catching the best swell window on this one. Foon
and I would be heading up to Long Island if I were able to get away. They
might be catching some 5-8' or further north. Waiting for the Rico 'n
Chexster 'n Urchin reports.
The storm will be moving away from MD and NJ and the primary swell
will be blocked by the Outer Banks. Foon will get his usual slop.
He might be challenged at shoulder high. If it gets any bigger at OC
they'll close the beach. The lifeguards might drown. OC in summer is
pathetic.

-George
r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-03 11:24:05 UTC
Post by george of the jungle
Why stop with 3 digits when Skipper is ready with a full fist?
Well... 3 more to the right would make 5, a full fist. Guess HE likes to
do cows, LOL!
Post by george of the jungle
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Hmmm, 5-8' maybe down at
Hatteras but we won't be catching the best swell window on this one. Foon
and I would be heading up to Long Island if I were able to get away. They
might be catching some 5-8' or further north. Waiting for the Rico 'n
Chexster 'n Urchin reports.
The storm will be moving away from MD and NJ and the primary swell
will be blocked by the Outer Banks. Foon will get his usual slop.
Should be better than slop but certainly won't have much height to it and
as a result will be very crowded at spots, full of LONGBOARDS. Yek,
talking about statue riding ;)
Post by george of the jungle
He might be challenged at shoulder high. If it gets any bigger at OC
they'll close the beach. The lifeguards might drown. OC in summer is
pathetic.
If there is any real surf then the lifeguards are not an issue. They're
there mostly to save the Big Wave Blake types from their vanity.
Post by george of the jungle
-George
P.S. Right Coasters still seeking more West Coast expertise!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
george of the jungle
2004-08-05 07:25:06 UTC
Post by george of the jungle
-George
P.S. Right Coasters still seeking more West Coast expertise!!!!!!!!!!!
The storm got way stronger than I estimated it would. From the NHC:

"ALEX HAS BECOME ONE FOR THE RECORD BOOKS TONIGHT. THE HURRICANE HAS
MAINTAINED A WELL-DEFINED 15 NMI DIAMETER EYE DIRECTLY IN THE
CENTER OF A CDO PATTERN WITH WELL-ESTABLISHED CIRCULAR OUTFLOW IN
ALL QUADRANTS. THIS HAS RESULTED IN DVORAK SATELLITE INTENSITY
ESTIMATES OF T5.5...OR 102 KT FROM BOTH TAFB AND AFWA...A DATA-T
NUMBER OF T6.0...OR 115 KT FROM TAFB...A RAW ODT VALUE OF T5.7...OR
108 KT AT 05/0015Z...AND A 3-HR AODT AVERAGE OF T5.6...OR 105 KT.
THE AVERAGE OF ALL THESE INTENSITY ESTIMATES IS 106 KT...SO THE
INITIAL INTENSITY IS SET AT 105 KT. THIS MAKES ALEX THE STRONGEST
MAJOR HURRICANE ON RECORD TO DEVELOP NORTH OF 38N LATITUDE...WITH
HURRICANE ELLEN IN 1973 COMING IN SECOND AT 100 KT. THOSE ARE THE
ONLY TWO HURRICANES ON RECORD TO REACH MAJOR HURRICANE STRENGTH AT
SUCH A HIGH LATITUDE. HOWEVER...THIS SHOULD NOT BE SURPRISING GIVEN
THAT SSTS ARE RUNNING MORE THAN 2C ABOVE AVERAGE IN THAT AREA."

The shouting is justified. This should bring some surf to Europe and
N Africa as well as New England. Reports encouraged.

Aloha,
Geroge
r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-05 12:52:18 UTC
Post by george of the jungle
[...]
A beautiful sight that eye. Despite the beauty he didn't send a whole
lot of punch to the DelMarVa... reports were better in northern NJ.
Nonetheless, it was nice to catch some TS swell in warm waters, sunny
skies and light offshores. First session trunkin' it since Hawaii this
past March.

Avoided the major fish kill spots from southern DE through Assateague.
Did get some limited test drives on the loaner side bites for my new
board -- the ones marketed with the turbo tunnel fin. The Futures SB3 325
that came with the board are simply too large -- need something about
1/2" smaller, preferable made of fiberglass to fit the Futures box.

--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
Sylvain
Geroge
george of the jungle
2004-08-07 07:08:40 UTC
Post by Sylvain
...You forgot Nova Scotia. Was very good yesterday. Slightly OH and
glassy Thurday!! :)
I didn't forget it. I forgot how to spell it! PEI was also in line for
surf. I had no idea we had someone lurking from there. I'm stoked
for you. What's happening with your local water temps?

I think the next 3 months are going to be interesting for you. The
gulf stream is hot and pushing north in your direction which means you
could get some serious action. Enjoy.

Aloha,
Geroge
Sylvain
2004-08-08 20:31:26 UTC
Post by george of the jungle
I didn't forget it. I forgot how to spell it! PEI was also in line for
surf. I had no idea we had someone lurking from there. I'm stoked
for you. What's happening with your local water temps?
Not so bad compared with August last year. It's about 60F right now.
Last year, it was in the mid fifties late july but it dropped to 45F
in the first week of august!! :S
Post by george of the jungle
I think the next 3 months are going to be interesting for you. The
gulf stream is hot and pushing north in your direction which means you
could get some serious action. Enjoy.
Aloha,
Geroge
I hope so!!! :)
Sylvain

r***@rodndtube.com
2004-08-02 23:01:30 UTC
Post by SKIPPER
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
Post by Paul Richardson
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
Only the *west coast USA experts* know for sure ;) Sounds like a good
excuse as any to get out of Orange City... some clean salt spray
is better than bioaerosols anyday!
ten bucks says Rod can't stand up on a wave over head high
Who gives a phauck????
Post by SKIPPER
The only thing he's ready for is retirement.
I'm ready! Yahoo!!! But, not soon enough :(
Post by SKIPPER
-PA
--------------------------------------
Rod Rodgers
Bring on the SPF!
http://www.rodNDtube.com/
Andy Tolhurst
2004-08-02 21:06:45 UTC
Post by Paul Richardson
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
Like you wouldn't believe. Love cross-stepping and such but damn wouldn't
half a wave be nice. Best time of the year to work Ocean Rescue. Tourons
swept out to sea as the groundswell pumps in. Something to do before,
during work and after. Waintin on the wind switch and then it'llbe on.
Even better as long as it just sweeps along the coast.
Sylvain
2004-08-03 17:03:00 UTC
Post by Andy Tolhurst
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
P.S. Give it 24 hrs or so and just call it Hurricane Alex ;)
Even better as long as it just sweeps along the coast.
There is still time for a little more strengthening...but cooler
waters will be encountered within about 24 hours. Global model
guidance is now split on whether Alex will be absorbed by a larger
extratropical low or maintain a distinct circulation beyond 72
hours...as suggested by the Canadian model.
The initial motion is faster than before but basically
on track. Guidance is in good agreement on a continued
northeasterly track that will take the center of Alex just offshore
the Outer Banks. After 24 hours...the official forecast has been
nudged southward in accord with the most recent dynamical model
consensus.
doc
2004-08-03 22:56:49 UTC
Post by Sylvain
Post by Andy Tolhurst
Post by r***@rodndtube.com
P.S. Give it 24 hrs or so and just call it Hurricane Alex ;)
Even better as long as it just sweeps along the coast.
There is still time for a little more strengthening...but cooler
waters will be encountered within about 24 hours. Global model
guidance is now split on whether Alex will be absorbed by a larger
extratropical low or maintain a distinct circulation beyond 72
hours...as suggested by the Canadian model.
The initial motion is faster than before but basically
on track. Guidance is in good agreement on a continued
northeasterly track that will take the center of Alex just offshore
the Outer Banks. After 24 hours...the official forecast has been
nudged southward in accord with the most recent dynamical model
consensus.
Between the warm water well up north -
factors, this Loading Image...
seems reasonable.

Keep your eye on what is currently TD2 - it's gonna be a real interesting
August in the NW Atlantic. My call is that TD2 will be following the same
track as Alex, a little further offshore and somewhat stronger
jw
2004-08-03 13:03:53 UTC
Post by Paul Richardson
You folks on the right coast ready for it ?
I have a 1.5cm square (deep and wide) hole in my foot from a shard of
glass that was surgically removed. I surfed twice with the glass
embedded in my heel, thinking it would work its way out. Got many long
rides in chest- to head-high waves and didn't even notice it out
there.

Now, I CAN'T go into the water for another week. It's all bandaged up
and still a large open wound...

But I'm always ready for these storms/waves. I'll take pix at least
and be all healed up for the next, bigger one!

-jw